If you’re anything like us, we’re constantly brainstorming ways that we can spruce up the outside of our homes. Whether you’re looking to sell, just moving in or are trying to make the most of your home’s exterior, adding curb appeal is a priority for almost all homeowners. And come to find out, chasing these outdoor DIY projects may be more valuable than we even realized.
According to a recent study by Liberty Mutual Insurance, landscaping and “curb appeal” adds 5-7% value onto your home, which makes sense since so many people are quick to judge a book by its cover… orrrr… a house by its cool looks. Some of us though won’t be able to add a ton of curb appeal once the winter hits, so we were eager to find a project that not only adds pizzaz now, but that can maintain it even throughout the upcoming winter months.
So What Project Will Immediately Upgrade Your Home’s Curb Appeal?
Answer: Paint the Front Door!
Painting your front door a bright and beautiful color is the most efficient way to dramatically change your home’s curb appeal without investing a ton of time or money. But a question we get asked pretty often is, “How do you know what color to paint your front door?”
We dove into a few tips on how to pick the perfect paint color for your home in this post but in short, we encourage homeowners to choose a color that gives neighbors and visitors a hint into what they would find inside of your home. Look around your place and take note of what colors are repeated most often. That list of colors will guide you to narrow down the perfect color for your front door.
The perfect paint color
We also were curious, so we also researched what real estate motifs “traditionally” say about you and your home’s style:
- Red – A classic front door color historically, used to represent hospitality and passion
- Navy – A sophisticated color that signifies a strong household of trust and stability
- Aqua – A soothing yet creative color that can represent a home of compassion, creativity, and relaxation
- Yellow – A bright pop of color that can signify an energetic and joyful home
- Green – This color is often linked with prosperity, luck, and even ambition
- Black – Another classic door color that may represent strength, confidence, and consistency
So what do you say? Are you up for adding instant value to your home by being bold and painting your front door? If you DIY this project, you will not only get to be creative, but you may even be making money when it’s time to sell! Seems like a win-win to us. Happy Painting!