I hate to break it to you, but being labeled the “new neighbors” comes with a little bit of pressure. I know you have 5 million other things to worry about in your new home, but if we don’t give you the head’s up & keep it real—you may never know the T-R-U-T-H.
Whether you like it or not, a lot is riding on whether you’re going to graduate into the “we love our new neighbors!” level or quickly detour down the unwanted path of…. “the super weird neighbors”.
Between us, no one wants to be labeled the weird neighbors- no one. We won’t get into the ugly truths of what those weird neighbors are all about (that’s a post for another day), let’s just keep it at this: you stick with us and you won’t have to worry about that daunting future, but more so, a future of welcoming waves and endless opportunity to borrow ingredients you forgot to pick up at the store. You are welcome!
So here’s the deal. Tomorrow is Halloween, and although it doesn’t seem significant to you, NOW IS YOUR CHANCE to make a move. Halloween is the perfect opportunity to make that move toward earning some serious “street cred” around your new hood. How, you ask? Get those trick-or-treaters gossiping how AWESOME your house’s Halloween Treats were and you will automatically be labeled the coolest house on the block from the most important people in the ‘hood- the kids. You get that squirrelly group on your side and you can bet your next paycheck that that crew won’t ever mess with your property. Here’s how you win them over, and in turn, earn some much deserved R-E-S-P-E-C-T.
- Give out King Sized Candy Bars – Talk about setting yourself apart from the rest! Based on experience, they’ll never forget you or your generosity.
- Give out Juice Boxes – Because when you run house to house all afternoon you get parched. Plain and Simple.
- Don’t take forever to answer your door – Time is valuable. This group has a lot of land to cover before sunset. The least you can do is hustle to that doorbell.
- If they don’t have costumes on, don’t call them out – Fact: wearing a full-blown costume is totally uncool at least a few years before you retire from trick-or-treating all together.
- Never reference their Halloween Look as “sooo cute” – Do I even need to explain?
On the other hand, it’s just as important to talk about what NOT to do in order to win these bad boys over. Whether their mothers like it or not, here’s a list of things you should avoid at all costs:
- Pennies- Hmmmm…. So 25 years ago.
- Popcorn balls – These don’t pair well with braces, consider the consumer.
- Candy that you only find in your Great Grandma’s House – Unfortunately, this population doesn’t necessarily appreciate the nostalgic value the same way we do. #theyllcomearound
- Toothbrushes – Is that a backhanded compliment?
- A healthy alternative to Candy – Even in 2014, Halloween is a time for kids to be kids… high fructose corn syrup overload and all.
You laugh, but trust us… earning street cred from this group is worth every King Size Candy bar you could ever get your hands on. You have 24 hours to make a game plan — go get ’em!