Update: we published a fresher, cleaner moving checklist over here.
Planning a move is almost like planning a wedding these days. Organization, execution, and one heck of a running to-do list will make your big day a magical one! A day with little drama, lots of happy tears, and a future of happily ever after in your new digs is what you and your moving team should be aiming towards. But happily ever after doesn’t happen overnight. Just like any happy bride, a happy mover needs to be organized and have a moving checklist in place to make it all run smoothly… because no one likes the moving equivalent to bride-zilla. Yikes!
2 months before your big move you should be…
SORTING, FILING, TOSSING, PURGING, DONATING, LABELING, BOOKING A TRUCK, & HIRING HELP.
- Sort your closets, drawers, cabinets, or areas that may need attention before you start packing.
- Analyze what items are necessary and what items you can part with pre-move
- Start to throw away or donate items that will not be making the move (or sell them at a garage sale!)
- Reserve transportation (either a moving truck or a portable container)
- Book loading & unloading help through yours truly, HireAHelper (right here!)
Get Help Loading Your Truck
See prices for movers by the hour – instantly.
Read real customer reviews.
Easily book your help online.
- Take pictures of your home so you remember what goes where and you can remember the great memories in this space (just like this)
6 weeks before you should be…
CONFIRMING, ARRANGING, NOTIFYING, COPYING, & PLANNING THE NEXT STEPS.
- Notify your current local services that you will be moving in order to obtain important files before you go:
- school districts
- Arrange any additional help for the big move – childcare, pet care, general man power, etc.
- Create a specific game plan for the next 6 weeks that you feel comfortable and confident in
1 month countdown is on and you should be…
PURCHASING BOXES/MOVING MUST-HAVES, CONTACTING NEW SERVICES, MENTALLY PREPARING, & STARTING TO SLIGHTLY PACK …in your free time.
- Purchase boxes, tape, and necessary moving supplies (here’s a moving box price comparison to help you get the most bang for your buck)
- Start packing in your free time
- Contact current service companies to CANCEL & identify an end date for these services:
- Garbage Services
- Contact new service companies to set up services for the new home. This will ensure these items will be ready right away:
- Garbage Services
1 week until your big day! You should be…
PACKING, CHANGING YOUR ADDRESS, GETTING YOUR FINANCES IN ORDER, CLEANING, CREATING A MOVING DAY SURVIVAL KIT, TAKING A DEEP BREATH…
- Pack, pack, pack! (Here are the basics on packing a moving box like a PRO)
- Label your boxes so your entire moving team knows where to put what (here’s a super easy trick)
- Set up an appointment with a local Locksmith to change locks on your new place
- Get your payment ready for your movers. (Should you tip your movers? Read this & you make the call)
- Create a Moving Day Survival Kit
- Forward mail to your new address (easy tutorial here)
On Moving Day you should be…
REJOICING, STAYING CALM, CLEANING, BEING A CONFIDENT LEADER by making sure your helpers know exactly how they can help make YOUR day easier.
- Do a final walk through to make sure nothing was left behind
- Be a confident leader to help guide your moving team
- Inform your HireAHelpers about any special instructions, any comments, concerns, or general information they may need for the day
- Enjoy watching the movers do the heavy lifting instead of you 😉
- Pay your movers (by text if you used HireAHelper)
After Moving Day you should be…
CRACKING A COLD ONE, CONFIRMING ADDRESS CHANGES, UNPACKING, GETTING COZY, MEETING YOUR NEW NEIGHBORS, FEELING PROUD!
- Unpack & get organized
- Refer to your old photos for extra assistance
- Confirm your new address with your employer, bank, creditors, DMV, etc.
- Enjoy your new home sweet home!
- Meet your new neighbors to make sure your an A+ neighbor from the start.
- Leave a review for your movers (If you booked through HireAHelper you’ll get an email within the next 48 hours asking for your review, with a link where you can post your feedback)